Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Tail in Hand

We have been playing pin the tail on the donkey for the past several months. I am still blindfolded and have no idea if I am right on the ass in the target zone or pinning tails on the the wall nowhere close to the actual problem. I think writing about it would help with my frustrations. So here I am once again.

I have been fairly quiet about G and his speech delay for quite a while. It has been on my mind since he was one and a genuine concern when he hit 18 months. I, for some reason,  always trusted it would work itself out and he would grow, no, EXPLODE into the disconnect that there seemed to be between what he could understand and what he could actually say.

We were on a waiting list for seven months for a funded program in the area. It was a slow process that left me looking for information what ever way I could get my hands on. I read books with techniques that have done little for G. Followed the ideas of a course for which he had little response and when he had limited success with a private SLP in our home, he is now in therapy at a local clinic.

G has another assessment to check on his progress with the funded program next week and I am anxious to get another opinion on what his situation may be. No one has yet to give the his problem a name although I have my suspicions of what it may be. I am not so much interested in having someone with fancy letters after their name poke and prod than have someone who has spent time to understand G and find a program that works for him.  He has been tested at a cognitive level beyond the normal range for his age. While we have not yet seen the explosion I am confident will come, he has in the past few weeks started calling for "Mom" in the mornings, now says bye-bye with his own intention, mimics consonant sounds and most vowel sounds ("ee" for the first time today!) and has put two sounds together to say "reh duh" (red duck).

Now almost 2 1/2, G is a happy kid and although he uses and makes up gestures and signs for his wants and needs he is well understood by those close to him. He gets by in his preschool program and while I worry that he is underestimated, sometimes overlooked and not challenged in that setting, I imagine that is going to be a set of hurdles that we will be jumping over for some time. 

Comments:
This is the kind of thing that makes me wish I could have you over for a cup of coffee and a plate of goodies. I bet we could talk for an hour on this topic alone.

*hugs*
 
I'd be happy to chat any time. No reason a cup of tea can't be brew simultaneously across time zones!
It would be nice to talk to someone won't just tell me he'll grow into it when we know it is more than that.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]