Thursday, February 19, 2009

Pate de Canard en Croute

There is something so satisfying about reading the last page of a book, and yet I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have done just that in the past year. That is untrue. I have read many non fiction books cover to cover but the kind that you can pick up and read for some information, a quick insight into another life or time, but nothing that pulls you get lost in. 

We (try) to get to the library weekly. I love the library. The programs are wonderful, we borrow movies for free, G plays with the train sets and the interactions are fascinating to watch. We explore both new books and classic books for the kids and myself. FYI- Beatrix Potter!? Those stories are weird and twisted! I enjoyed them as a kid. Did I not get them? What is up with those?

My latest find at the library was audio books. Sure, I knew they were there. I have looked thought them but rarely seen anything that peeked my interest. I didn't think I would finish one of those either but I thought I would try. What if I didn't like the voice or cadence of the reader? When would I listen to it? At home? In the car? Do I really spend that much time in the car? 

Turns out I do. I picked up a book on CD that I had tried to read a year ago. I was kidding myself a year ago. And realized that only of course when the book was due back to the library and it was more freeing to return it to the library than renew it online and continue to have it mock me every time I passed it.  Julie and Julia is a cute autobiographical story of a not quite thirty year old who has lost her ambition and her personal quest to cook her way through Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in only a year. It is- after having now "read"/ listened to the book, I find out being made into a movie staring Amy Adams as Julie and Meryl Streep as Julia Child. It is due to be in theaters this Summer. I am sure the screen play is taking a different slant on the story. 

So apparently I am getting old. Listening to audio books in the car instead of Lady GaGa over and over again. This book, mind you had quite a bit of profanity but I am not sure that K was really listening.  And if so "Pate de Canard en Croute" sounds much dirtier than "Fuck" does anyway. 

I am off to scour the online library to find other audio books I know I will enjoy. Any recommendations?  


Comments:
I don't know how many of these are available on audiobook, but here are some of my recommendations:

I enjoy anything by Gregory McGuire. Wicked is his most popular book, but all of his books describing the darker side of well-known fairy tales are just as funny and good.

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

Three Cups of Tea by Gregory Mortenson

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (this is a HUGE book, so probably easier to listen to than read, if you can)

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
 
I think I got a copy of Memoirs of a Geisha from you. I had seen the movie but enjoyed the book much more. Bel Canto seems to be the only you one you listed available here on audiobook. I'll have to check it out.
I am picking up Stanley Park tomorrow.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]