Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Not a Good Week for Groceries

Warning: Carry on if you don't want to listen to me rant.

With C busy working these past few weekends, our usual Saturday routine of going for our coffee, getting our fresh bread, stopping at the butcher than the organic grocery has gone by the way side. Don't get me wrong, he still manages to do the coffee part but I am on my own for the rest. This Saturday, K and I hit the bakery for our bread and than went to a local twice a year consignment sale to see if there were any good finds. C and I had our last curling game of the regular season that afternoon so our plan was to pick up a quick dinner at Whole Foods on our way home. It all went down hill from there. The pizza there is a great value for much much less than what you would pay at any strip mall pizza place you get a really tasty wood oven pizza with fresh ingredients that is neither greasy or heavy. The kids seem to really like it so it was an easy decision. We ordered and shopped for a few items while we waited for it to be made. They forgot our order, which is fine, that happens, but it meant that we would have to wait another 20 minutes and if there is one thing that grocery store is known for it is the risk of becoming Whole Paycheck if you idle in the store too long. Sunday was not a big dinner night for us at home but Monday brought burgers to the menu. I cooked the burgers and went to cut the buns which were completely stale. *Note to self complain at the bakery next weekend*. Tuesday I made Moussaka which was lovely last time I made it, the eggplant was very tender, but this time it was very rubbery and I even had to pick around it. Tonight we had sausages. I had ordered 6 Moroccan lamb sausages and even got some nice mango chutney to go with. When I unwrapped the package there were three lamb sausages and three mystery meat sausages.*Note to self complain at meat counter and advise them not to give mystery meat to a pregnant woman* . Can anything go wrong with the Indonesian fried rice or perogies? I don't think I have the guts to try coconut curry chicken or roast pork this week. Maybe take out is in order for tomorrow or better yet, dinning in so I can send it back if something inevitably goes wrong.

Comments:
Awww. Well, it can only go up from here, right?

And I must say, I evilly take a *tiny* amount of comfort in knowing that even you can have cooking hurdles, even if none of them are actually your fault!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]