Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Mixed Bag That is Parenting
Today (and at 3:30 in the afternoon, I believe I am being brave writing this) has been a classic day in parenting filled with ups and downs.
E had a track and field meet today for school. He was taking a particularly long time getting dressed this morning so I peeked in to check on his progress getting ready. It is ten degrees outside today and overcast and he decides he should wear shorts and the thinnest t-shirt he could possibly find. I plainly told him to change into something more appropriate for the weather and the sulking began. Apparently he can ONLY run in shorts and track pants of any kind will slow him down. He changed his clothes but not his attitude. I have images of him walking around a university campus years from now wearing shorts in sub zero weather. I will be rolling my eyes then too.
K had swim class today. She loves her swimming classes and talks about them daily. She enjoys practicing her jumps and dives off the edge of our bed and will walk around swinging her arms like a windmill and ask you if she is doing front crawl or back crawl. When the session started in March she had the teacher to herself- a scheduling blessing- but the past few weeks she has had another girl in her class. And while she had no problem with the concept last time when there were two other boys in her class, this time she is left to herself on the little ledge on the side of the pool while each of the kids take turns kicking with the teacher. K now freaks out at the beginning of each class and when the teacher takes the other little one for a spin, K runs towards the door that leads to the viewing area. We have been dealing with this for a few weeks and I while she warms up and is totally into it a few minutes later the whole situation is extremely frustrating. I figure that she may just be bored while she is left by herself. She understands the concept of taking turns but she can't amuse herself with the ball that there- if it leaves her hands for only a second it floats out of her reach. She is good and knows her boundaries but is left with nothing to do. Last time she would but scoot down the five meter length of the ledge to get away from the boy who would try and sit closer and closer- they played this game every class- maybe she misses him ;o) So while everything was still fresh in her mind I took her to the toy store. I bought her a cheap little toy for the water, a whale that won't float away, to keep her busy. This "friend" will be for her swim lesson and her swim lesson only. I sure hope the trick works next time and we don't have another melt down. I hate the idea of the meltdowns taking time from the other girl in the class and but she also needs to be in those situations where she takes turns and has to be patient. Cross your fingers for next Wednesday.
I had a dentist appointment this afternoon. K has always been good and very curious when I am having any work done. She sits on a chair and barely says a peep but takes in everything from the instruments to the contents of the treasure box behind the counter. After today's cleaning she was disappointed not to get her own turn. So we have booked her first appointment to have her teeth looked at next time. I hope she is as enthusiastic next time.
With E expected in the door any minute. I sure hope he is proud of how he ran today and the pants didn't slow him down TOO much.
Edited to add: Looks like E will have a chance to unleash his secret weapon in the warmer weather. He placed 2nd in 1500m and 3rd in 800m. Just think what he could have done if he wasn't wearing pants!
E had a track and field meet today for school. He was taking a particularly long time getting dressed this morning so I peeked in to check on his progress getting ready. It is ten degrees outside today and overcast and he decides he should wear shorts and the thinnest t-shirt he could possibly find. I plainly told him to change into something more appropriate for the weather and the sulking began. Apparently he can ONLY run in shorts and track pants of any kind will slow him down. He changed his clothes but not his attitude. I have images of him walking around a university campus years from now wearing shorts in sub zero weather. I will be rolling my eyes then too.
K had swim class today. She loves her swimming classes and talks about them daily. She enjoys practicing her jumps and dives off the edge of our bed and will walk around swinging her arms like a windmill and ask you if she is doing front crawl or back crawl. When the session started in March she had the teacher to herself- a scheduling blessing- but the past few weeks she has had another girl in her class. And while she had no problem with the concept last time when there were two other boys in her class, this time she is left to herself on the little ledge on the side of the pool while each of the kids take turns kicking with the teacher. K now freaks out at the beginning of each class and when the teacher takes the other little one for a spin, K runs towards the door that leads to the viewing area. We have been dealing with this for a few weeks and I while she warms up and is totally into it a few minutes later the whole situation is extremely frustrating. I figure that she may just be bored while she is left by herself. She understands the concept of taking turns but she can't amuse herself with the ball that there- if it leaves her hands for only a second it floats out of her reach. She is good and knows her boundaries but is left with nothing to do. Last time she would but scoot down the five meter length of the ledge to get away from the boy who would try and sit closer and closer- they played this game every class- maybe she misses him ;o) So while everything was still fresh in her mind I took her to the toy store. I bought her a cheap little toy for the water, a whale that won't float away, to keep her busy. This "friend" will be for her swim lesson and her swim lesson only. I sure hope the trick works next time and we don't have another melt down. I hate the idea of the meltdowns taking time from the other girl in the class and but she also needs to be in those situations where she takes turns and has to be patient. Cross your fingers for next Wednesday.
I had a dentist appointment this afternoon. K has always been good and very curious when I am having any work done. She sits on a chair and barely says a peep but takes in everything from the instruments to the contents of the treasure box behind the counter. After today's cleaning she was disappointed not to get her own turn. So we have booked her first appointment to have her teeth looked at next time. I hope she is as enthusiastic next time.
With E expected in the door any minute. I sure hope he is proud of how he ran today and the pants didn't slow him down TOO much.
Edited to add: Looks like E will have a chance to unleash his secret weapon in the warmer weather. He placed 2nd in 1500m and 3rd in 800m. Just think what he could have done if he wasn't wearing pants!
Comments:
<< Home
LOL! I love the thing about E's pants! Too funny.
Good luck next Wednesday with K's new swimming partner. :)
Post a Comment
Good luck next Wednesday with K's new swimming partner. :)
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
