Monday, November 06, 2006

Mac and Cheese

While in Vegas, C and I dined at a great restaurant in the Bellagio Hotel called FIX. We had set out to explore our first night there just around prime dinner hours, so needless to say without a reservation we wandered for quite sometime. Following the the direction of C, whose stomach rumbled louder than the slot machines, we travelled to Todd English's Olives, Bobby Flay's MESA Grill and many many more. All of which could not accommodate us until after 9 which was cutting our timing a little too close to our showtime. I wasn't going to miss a single moment of "O". We finally ended up at the closest restaurant to the theatre itself and it was fabulous! Contrary to the way we usually order we had very similar palates that evening. I had a tuna "poke" with mango-wasabi mojo and shrimp crisps and C had yellowtail sashimi with jalapeno and ponzu. Both were raw and exceptionally different and delicious. We followed that course with the Fix Surf and Turf- Miso glazed short ribs with lobster croquettes. I had a side of "wood grilled forest mushrooms" and C had a side of the "very adult mac and cheese" ( I am getting to the point I promise!) Everything we had was fantastic. The presentations were spectacular even the tiny burgers were unconventional. I was delighted to watch dishes passed around the dinning room. Everything was gorgeous! But the one thing that stuck was the darn mac and cheese. It was like no mac and cheese I had had and I make yummy mac and cheese! These ones came in fried sticks, four to a plate, about the size of an egg roll. They were accompanied by a little ramekin of truffled dipping sauce and these things were heaven on a plate.

All I could think about was how ingenious this things were. K LOVES mac and cheese but it is not something I make too often because once I have had it once I don't really feel I need to have it again for a while. So today I started the process. I made the mac and cheese and laid spread it into a sheet pan to cool. Tonight, I will cut the set pasta and sauce into "fingers" and freeze them and tomorrow I will bread them. They will be ready for individual lunches and I should have at least 28 that should last for many a toddler lunch. I am so excited!Except for the labour I just to make them initially- talk about Easy Mac!

So back to the restaurant, we ordered dessert and neither of us had more than a few bites but I had the "Shake and Cake"- espresso malt shake with warm chocolate brownie cake and C had the warm banana bread pudding with coconut ice cream and Malibu anglaise. The other very tempting dessert were the made to order banana donuts with two sauces, chocolate hazelnut and caramel. But check the presentation:



Comments:
Your new profile picture is great!
 
Sounds like you ate like a queen. Made me hungry just reading about it!
Anna
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]