Monday, November 13, 2006

Choked Up

We stopped into Whole Foods on Friday after our chickadee excursion and picked up a few wonders of the store. We haven't been since before Thanksgiving. It was at that point that I had my seasonal Jerusalem Artichoke craving. It was my last stop on a search for the little wonders that I never had a problem getting in the Byward Market. I asked the produce guy, who was clearly new and uncomfortable with the idea that I was asking him a question, if they had any and he looked confused and went to get his manager. The second wasn't too helpful either. He showed me the regular everyday artichokes and when I told him it wasn't what I was looking for and spewed other names by which they are known, but still, I got funny looks. I gave up on the idea of having that soup with Thanksgiving dinner.

But this past Friday, extra bright lights and heavenly music played around the basket that I saw from across the produce section. I picked and chose the nicest ones and carried a large bag of them towards our shopping cart.

So tonight, I have jerusalem artichokes, scalloped potato style with a beautiful steak from our favourite butcher and I am a happy girl! I may just have to go back and stock up. I'll make some soup for the winter, and jerusalem artichoke risotto sounds sooooo good!


Comments:
Hmm, I've never tried those; they look like a cross between a yam and a ginger root! Glad you had success and were finally able to satisfy a craving you've had for over a month! :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]