Thursday, August 03, 2006

Careful What You Wish For

K and I have been attending a mom and tots group in the area for some time now. It is a great chance for her to get out and socialize with other preschoolers and a great chance for me to engage in coversations that aren't about zebras, giraffes, the park or the potty. It has been fun to watch her open up from having to have me in arms reach to her playing independantly with other kids and (oh please don't jinx it) SHARING.

The one thing that has not changed is the fact that she is painfully shy. As many of you can attest to she has a predictable 45 minute to one hour time frame before she will break from cautious stares to her usually smiley self. Becoming comfortable enough to exchange words is an entirely seperate ordeal. I can count the number of times people have asked me whether or not she talks and some of these folks are people we see two to three times a week. This has concerned me in the last while and had me looking into preschools for the fall (which she cannot start until 2 1/2 so that idea crashed and burnt). I simply thought that getting her into something where I wasn't around would force her to have to communticate with others.

Today as we were getting ready for play group, I told her it was time to put on her shoes, she yelled "GROUP! Yeah! Let's go!" We drove today because we weren't sure based on the weather if the meeting would be at the park like other Thursdays or if we would meet at the centre. She talked to be on the way there about the park and slide, and swing, and rain, and (um)brellas, she sang circle songs and once we got to the centre I asked her if she was going to say hello to Tracey and she said "lello, Tracey! Lello Tracey!" repeatedly from the car to the door. Something magical happens when that door opens and she walks inside. Not another word is spoken. The first ones there today, I spoke to Tracey about it while she played in the kitchen and I began to itch something terrible. I could feel a nasty allergic reaction coming on that leaves my eyes puffy and scratch marks all over my neck and arms. I decided I needed allergy meds fast and ;eft Kyra with the girls while I checked the car and when I lucked out there, went to the phamacy in the mall and got me some. By the time a returned no more than three minute later, there was K happily stickering and stamping with the Sheridan College Student doing an ECE placement for the summer. She had a new friend and paid no attention to me and when circle time came, yes she sat with me... for all of 30 seconds but when she realized Valerie didn't have a munchkin to row her boat with she left me for the other side of the circle. I sat there in circle all by my lonesome while Mia next to me juggled a two year old and pair of 9 month old twins. I prepared my self for the worst. Circle time always ends with that aweful Barney song we all know but I can always depend that no matter wher in the room she has endend up after dancing and story she will run back to me for a "great big hug and a kiss from me to you"...but not today. She ran to Valerie instead. My heart broke. I exchanged teary eyes with Tracey and realized that I wished this upon myself.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]