Thursday, June 01, 2006

Anniversary of Sorts

I have fond memories of this day one year ago. I woke up all ball of nerves, C and I discussed our plan of action and he went to work for the day. I got things ready for the possibility that I might drop everything and leave town in a few short hours. It was one year ago today that I bought our house.

The previous weekend C and I had gone on one of our two, company paid for, weekends to house hunt and came home extremely disappointed. The only house we really liked that was also in a neighbourhood we liked had already been sold. It felt like a tease of the nastiest variety, we went to view the house, looked at a few more and then called to make an offer on the one we liked and got told it was sold the night before. We saw many more houses that afternoon and the following day but nothing felt right. I was a wreck when we got home, drained emotionally and discouraged about our decision to move, house prices in TO compared to Ottawa ect. A wise woman told me to forget about that house that fell through our fingers. We wouldn't want to have a house on that street. We would have "what if" feelings every time we walked passed that house and always feel like we settled for another one. Good advice.

Wednesday morning I was looking through the daily MLS listings (ones that matched our criteria were automatically sent to us each morning) When I nearly fell off my chair. The address of one of the new listings was on that street! I called C and we read through all the specs together and then I called our agent in TO. She quickly called the selling agent and let us know that the next morning they would be having an agents only open house. She would go to that first thing and then give us a call. I sat on pins and needles until just after 10 when I got the phone call from Pat. "I'd buy it in a heartbeat!" "It's perfect for you guys" "I like it better than the other one myself" "I'll send you pictures right away".

We made arrangements and I was on the next flight to Toronto. By the time I had gotten to the Ottawa airport C had seen the pictures and new I'd love it. Pat picked me up at the airpoirt and we went straight to the house. I walked through, decribing everything to C on the cell phone. The owner's phone rang constantly with people trying to make appointments to view the home. We went to Starbucks, had a Passion iced tea and went over the paperwork. In another whirl wind of events, we placed an offer to the sellers who came home early from work to try and make the deal happen knowing I had to get on another flight home. Everything happened so fast!

I called "wise woman" from the airport because I couldn't contain my excitement. I. Had. Just. Bought. A. House!

I can't believe how quickly the year has past. I can't believe that the first time we drove into this neighbourhood a year ago, we knew that this was the right neighbourhood for us. I can't believe that one year later we are still thrilled with where we chose to live. I guess sometimes you just know.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]