Monday, May 29, 2006

Lord of the Rings

I saw the Lord of the Rings musical at the Princess of Wales theatre yerterday with Julie and E. It was so amazing. I didn't have much of an interst in seeing it when I first heard about it but got intrigued once I heard a few reveiws and started seeing some of the commercials on TV. For some reason, to me, the idea a Lord of the Rings musical sounded cheesy but I couldn't have been more wrong. I have neither read the books nor have I seen any of he movies so I didn't have any preconcieved ideas of what I expected to see on the stage (I would, btw, like to see the movies now just to compare. I am sure we missed out on many seemingly important subplots when they made the story that took three movies of 3 hours each into one 3 1/2 hour show) Having sad that I am no huge LOTR fanatic I will leave the story to someone who can comment on it better and stick to the physical aspects of the show.

The sets and lighting of this $27-million stage production was truly one of the highlights of the show for me. I have been lucky enough to see many, many stage productions and I have never seen a stage and props used to this extent. The stage revolves 360 degrees with many different pieces raising and lowering to transform the stage into the many different parts of Middle Earth were the story takes place. They used square centimeter of the stage to enchant you in a way that I am sure holds true to what Tolkien had imagined. The elves' tree top dwelling and the treebeards had to be my favourite ways that they used fanastic costumes and the stage to help tell the story.

Act one was a particular feast for the eyes being in such awe of the stage and the precise timing required by everyone to pull off the show. They introduced the Hobbits to the stage well before the show began which probably gives you much more background about the Hobbit's and their shire than you may think. The music was really enjoyable. It was not the catchy Broadway show tunes that one usually expects but I was not at all disappointed. I wouldn't say I would run out and buy the CD but the music perfenctly fit the feel of the show and enhanced the atmosphere of each scene.

The choreography was incredibly impressive. Especially the the battle scene where the stage was constantly moving and actors had to jump from section to section in the dim lighting. I also reallye njoyed the scene at the inn with all the acrobatic dancing.

The actors did a great job considering we saw a Sunday matinee where many of the roles where played by understudies. I especially liked the one who plays who plays Gollum, most definately my favourite character. The body awareness that was required to pull off this role and to keep it up for the entire show has to be physically draining. The verbal and body language used to help portray Gollum's character was amazing.

This show is having its world premier in Toronto right now and is opening in London next fall. No word yet when it will hit Broadway.

Comments:
Man, I sure wish I could have gone with you!

I wonder what Tolkien would think? I believe he was against the idea of his books ever being made into a movie, let alone being set to music. But then, maybe theatre would have been more acceptable to him than the silver screen.

The books are WONDERFUL. I read them in Grade 7 (struggled a bit to get through the battle scenes at that age) and after watching the first movie, I re-read them all again in about 3 days. (Michael didn't see much of me...)

Glad you had fun at the musical!

Fawn
 
From what I hear the the books are very musical themselves, full of chants and poems. I wish I had more time to sit with a good book.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]