Tuesday, February 28, 2006
Moms in the City
After being in the Toronto area for almost 6 months now I have realized that I haven't gotten out and learned a whole lot about the big city we live near. There just doesn't seem to be enough time on weekends to do it all as a familly so today K and I joined a mommy group downtown for a historical and culinary tour of the St Lawrence Market. The tours are run by Moms in the City, a group that organinzes tours and seminars for Moms with babies in tow. All tours are stroller friendly and they have even enlisted caregivers to help with the little ones so you can get the most out of your tour. We learned and laughed and got to nibble on tasty treats from the vendors. We tasted two of the most amazing jams, one was apricot and white chocolate that was very citrusy and had almost a lemon curd texture and the other was red lavender strawberry merlot. Apparently the late Pope had some when he was in Toronto for World Youth Day and had cases sent to the Vatican. It was delish! The meats looked fantastic and since it was Tuesday and the start of the market week they were just beginning to fill up the display fridges. Huge sides of beef ready to be butchered were wheeled right along side of our strollers. Bruce Bell was our guide and he was really good. He also took us to St James Cathedral and a few other points of interest in the area. I always find it interesting to hear about how much life has changed in what is actually such a short period of time. Bruce is the official historian of St. Lawrence Market and St. Lawrence Hall, Toronto's King Edward Hotel and the Hockey Hall of Fame Heritage Building. He does the other tours aswell so I look forward to doing a few more- that is if C doesn't take my keys again!
And I finally found a place that has dutch process cocoa that wasn't crazy expensive so in addition to the vanilla paste that C picked up for me this weekend, and the smoked paprika I got at another vendor, I am once again fully stocked with all of my favourite specialty food items! I am one happy chef disquised as a housewife.
And I finally found a place that has dutch process cocoa that wasn't crazy expensive so in addition to the vanilla paste that C picked up for me this weekend, and the smoked paprika I got at another vendor, I am once again fully stocked with all of my favourite specialty food items! I am one happy chef disquised as a housewife.
Comments:
<< Home
It was a close call. They were supposed to be here for 9 and didn't get here till 9:45. Packed and ready to go, we actually made it on time. A little out of breath, but not the last one to show up!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
